Colombian cliff diver, Orlando Duque won the fifth round of the Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series yesterday, in Boston-USA, obtaining an impressive 154.00 points on his final dive, a back triple somersault with a three twist pike.
It was an exciting day, which saw just over 25,000 people, each with their eyes firmly fixed on the 27 metre platform situated on the roof of the Institute of Contemporary Art.
A total of 13 divers launched themselves from the platform, entering the water of Boston Harbour at speeds approaching 85kph. Russia’s Artem Silchenko took second place, with Brit diver Gary Hunt coming in third.
This is what ’10-time cliff diving world champion’, Duque had this to say to Red Bull:
“There was a lot of pressure going in, knowing that I’m diving against Gary. I thought one of us would advance and the other would be the lucky loser and that Gary’s probably the only diver that can go from last to first.
RESULTS STOP 5, BOSTON
1. Orlando Duque | COL | 497.20pts
2. Artem Silchenko | RUS | 478.20
3. Gary Hunt | UK | 471.10
4. Jonathan Paredes | MEX | 469.60
5. Michal Navratil | CZE | 438.80
6. David Colturi | USA | 437.90
7. Steven LoBue | USA | 418.50
8. Kent De Mond (wildcard) | USA | 386.10
9. Kris Kolanus (wildcard) | POL | 289.45
10. Kyle Mitrione (wildcard) | USA | 274.20
11. Blake Aldridge | UK | 270.60
12. Anatoliy Shabotenko | UKR | 267.80
13. Andy Jones (wildcard) | USA | 255.20
Next Stop Wales – September 14th